This recipe has a funny little story behind it - a 'turn lemons into lemonade' type of story. Where should I begin? One thing that I truly love is chocolate flavored coffee drinks! So, when I saw this Chocolate Chai Latte drink mix at the store, I decided to give it a try. I had never tried the 'chai' flavored drinks before, but had heard several of my friends raving about them, so I thought - Why not?
I got it home, chilled it overnight in the fridge, and mixed up one the next day. Well, I have to say, I'm not really a fan... as a drink anyway. But the flavors of cinnamon and clove along with all of the other chai spices reminded me so much of baked desserts, that I decided to try something else... I made a custard with it. Now this, I DO like! I'm telling y'all, it was Wonderful! Try it out for yourself, and let me know what you think...
- 1 cup Chocolate Chai Latte drink mix
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 1 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Find another baking dish that's large enough for your 1 quart dish to fit inside of (with a little extra room), and has sides that go up at least half as tall as those on the 1 quart dish. Place the 1 quart dish inside, and fill the larger dish with enough boiling water to go half way up the sides of your 1 quart dish.
- Mix together all of the ingredients until thoroughly combined, and pour into the prepared 1 quart dish.
- Bake in the water bath, in the preheated 325 degree oven for about an hour. The length of time may vary, depending on the overall shape of your dish and the thickness of the custard that it creates. Your custard is done when the middle barely wobbles, and feels spongy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, and water bath, to cool. You can eat this dessert still warm from the oven. Or (as I prefer) pop it into the fridge for a few hours, and serve chilled.