The other day I found blood oranges on sale at the grocery store. So after eating our fair share of them straight out of the bag, I decided we needed to try something different. Enter this recipe...
Tangy blood oranges and sweet juicy blueberries come together with a simple white cake mix to make a moist and decadent dessert that the whole family will love.
- 1 box White Cake Mix (plus the ingredients listed on the box needed to make it)
- 3 Blood Oranges
- 1 cup Brown Sugar (approximately)
- 1 cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven according to package directions on cake mix box.
- Generously spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Clean and slice each orange into seven approximately 1/8 inch rings. Discard the two ends. (You will only use the middle 5 slices.) Leave the peel on, but remove any seeds.
- Place the orange slices into 3 rows of 5 slices each, in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Make sure you place the 'pretty' sides down. When you turn your cake out, they will be on top.
- Scatter the brown sugar over and in between the orange slices. It may take slightly more, or less than a cup, depending on the sizes of your oranges.
- Mix the cake according to the package directions.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the cake mix. (They will all sink to the bottom (top) while it bakes, but they make a pretty blue swirl pattern in the cake mix, so I like to add them this way.)
- Gently pour the cake mix over the oranges and brown sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven as directed. (Your cake is done when you lightly press the center of the cake down, and it springs back up.)
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 or 10 minutes before turning out onto a flat pan, or platter.
- Cut into squares, as indicated by the orange slices.