Monday, August 4, 2014

Stewed Squash


Just look at that... Are you drooling yet? This Southern delicacy is one of my family's all time favorite ways to enjoy yellow squash... Next to Yellow Squash Custard Pie, that is. The flavor is so buttery and smooth. The squash just practically melts in your mouth!  It is also a perfect way to use up quite a few squash at one time, when you're being overrun your garden is producing well.

 Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter or Margarine
  • 6 cups (about 6 - 8) Yellow Squash, sliced
  • 1 Yellow Onion, sliced
  • 1 tsp Minced Garlic
  • Salt 
  • Pepper
  • Garlic & Herb Seasoning
  • 1/4 cup Water

Method:
  • In a large non-stick skillet, melt the butter (or margarine) over medium heat.
  • Add in the sliced yellow squash, onion, and garlic. 
  • Season with salt, pepper, and garlic & herb seasoning.
  • Pour in the water, and cover with a lid.
  • Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the squash and onion begin to soften (about 20 minutes).
  • Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes, still stirring every now and then. This allows some of the liquid to cook off, and the squash to get that extra little bit of yum factor. 
  • Now, grab a fork and a napkin, and dig in!

Serves 4 - 6


Enjoy!




Related posts that might interest you:











11 comments:

  1. I love, love, love stewed squash. And when it's fresh from the garden…oh my! This makes me want to go make some right now - your pictures are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Karen! Thank you so much for stopping by ~ and for your kind words! :o)

      Delete
  2. I love squash!!! I bet I'll love this...never stewed it...amazing consider I grow them puppies.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ol Stewed Squash! I may have to go to the Farmer's Market tomorrow because now I want some! We season it with bacon, I know that is terrible but at the same time it is so good! Thanks for linking up with us at The Yuck Stops Here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it with bacon. I actually prefer it without. Though I'm still not sure how that's possible! lol Glad you stopped by! :o)

      Delete
  4. Mmm, looks good. Squash is fantastic in so many dishes, isn't it? Thank you for linking at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have some squash I need to cook up. I'm not sure why I never thought to add some onions too! Thanks for stopping by and sharing this recipe with us - you're featured this week on Five Friday Finds as most popular! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I used Weber brand Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoning, but I am sure you could substitute your favorite brand, if need be. :o)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover