Sunday, February 1, 2015

DIY Swinging Treat Holder for Chickens (On the Cheap!)


I live in an area where I can't just let my chickens roam free, so boredom can become a real issue. Along with a large enclosure, I try my best to come up with little things here and there to help keep the flock entertained. Today I thought I would share with you one of the best busy bird options that we have for our flock... A swinging treat holder. 

This super easy and inexpensive accessory can be put together, and hung in your run, in a matter of minutes! It's made from a hanging fruit or vegetable basket (I got mine at Dollar Tree) and a disposable pie pan! So treat yourself with a pie, and then make your chickens happy too. Just place the pie pan inside the basket and bend the edges out a little, to get them to fit between the wires. This will help the pie pan to slide down closer to the bottom of the basket, giving the chickens more room to get their heads in there to reach all of the goodies. I also find it helpful to have two fitted pie pans - one for me to fill, while they're emptying the other. 



This swinging treat holder is also very versatile. You can put any small treats or grains that you want in the pie pan (chopped carrots are pictured). It even works with the wet treats, like yogurt. Or, remove the pan, and delight your flock with larger items, such as romaine lettuce, squash halves, whole tomatoes, etc. Depending on what you put in it, the swinging action can keep them entertained for hours. Oh, and as an added bonus... the flock block that I make here at the house, fits in it perfectly! (see video) 


Obviously, It's really hard to take a decent picture with all of the motion, so
here's a short video of the treat holder in action...




As you can see, the chickens really love this little contraption. And I love the fact that they are entertained and not trying to get into any {more} trouble. 


PS - During Summer months, It works really well to hold their ice block cakes too. 




See you next time...



Related posts that might interest you:





    



4 comments:

  1. I love shopping Dollar Tree too! We are lucky that are girls can roam our backyard so they don't get board. Thanks for the neat idea. Thanks for sharing at the (mis)Adventures Mondays Blog Hop. I can't wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely enjoying your website. You definitely have some great insight and great stories. Hen Do Games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are enjoying my blog! Thank you for stopping by and telling me. :)

      Delete
  3. I am really happy that i have been cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with
    the herbal medicine of dr.chala, i have been suffering from this disease
    for the past 2 years and 7 mouth without solution until i came across the
    blog of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine,
    i also choose to give him a chance to help me ��, he told me what
    to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me
    on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask us to
    go for a check up after a week and some days which i did, to my greatest
    surprise our result came out as negative, and ever since then, we have had
    no more outbreak and we are healthy, we are really happy that there is
    someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. he also
    render cure to the following diseases below
    .DIABETES
    .CANCER
    .HEPATITIS
    .HIV/AIDS
    .P COS4 contact him via what's app +2348165102815 or email dr.chalaherbalhome@gmail.com��

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover